Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Racing Against Diabetes


Running Against Diabetes
I had a great race.  It was a beautiful, sunny and crisp (high of 52 degrees) day. My plan was to run my race pace for as long as I could and then run as hard as I could in the last 3 miles to finish under 3 hours. I didn't know how long I could hold this pace, but the plan was to stay on my race pace for as long as possible.



I ran the first 1/2 marathon in under 90 minutes, which was 3 minutes faster than I ran the Vancouver 1/2 marathon in June.  I felt great and kept running past Oliver, Liam, Naomi, Naomi's Mom, my sister Katie, and my niece Savannah, and nephew Emmitt. Running by this cheering section I thought "I've got this."  I made it to the turn around and headed back towards the finish still feeling good. Then at about 16 miles I started to feel like I was running hard to keep the pace. I stayed on pace as I turned up Oliver street (where 5 years ago I realized that Oliver should be the name of our unborn son).  After this things started getting harder.  I felt OK but my legs just weren't moving as fast as they needed to. I kept trying to keep my race pace, but by mile 23 it was clear that I wasn't staying on pace to finish under 3 hours. I checked my split time with about 2.5 miles to go and I was now a minute over my race pace and there was NO way I could go any faster. So I decided to slow down and enjoy the ride (as much as possible) for the last few miles. The last 2.5 miles of the marathon felt like they took forever. Strangely only 2 or 3 people passed me (I guess I wasn't the only one hurting). Slowing down I enjoyed things I would have missed if I was running for time. I smiled and gave a thumbs up to the seniors from the retirement home all dressed in sequined outfits cheering and dancing around like kids.  I stopped and high-fived Oliver, Liam, Savannah and Emmitt. Liam and Savannah even ran with me for a little bit!  The final highlight was the finish. I had been imagining me running around the corner towards the finish and hearing the announcer say "here comes Michael McDonell from Seattle about to run under 3 hours for the first time."  Instead what I heard was "here comes Michael McDonell from Seattle raising money for diabetes research."  As I ran across the finish line, came to a stop and got my medal, I realized this was really the point. To raise money, to set an example for my kids, to be with my family, to show my wife that I love her.

So I ended up finishing in 3 hours, 5 minutes, and 38 seconds.  Not may fastest marathon, but not my slowest either.  Before seeing my family by the finish line I was already planning out the next race I would run. As I sat watching my kids play with their cousins that night I realized that I don't really need to run a marathon under 3 hours and that isn't why I ran this race.

It was great to get a bunch of donation alerts right before and after the race. Only when I got home did I realize how special one donation was.  When my sister explained to her 4 year-old daughter Savannah why I was running the race, she ran and got her piggy bank and shook all of the money out of it.  She came with all of her coins and said, "I want to give this to Uncle Mike's run for Aunt Naomi." She donated $2.10 (Canadian). This is why I started writing this blog, fundraising, and why I ran this marathon. Besides this amazing donation I received donations from Savannah's mom and dad, Grandma Sue, Donelle, Glenette, and Roger.  Together we have realized $1082 for Diabetes Research!!!!!!!!  Thank you to everyone who supported my fundraising program. I am very blessed to have such great friends and colleagues who are willing to provide such great support, both financially and otherwise.


So what is next?  I am going to keep learning about diabetes and trying my best to support Naomi.  I am going to try to spend more time with my family. What's next for my running?  I think I am going to stick with my plan to run an ultramarathon.  I am going to start with a 50K next spring. A 50k is only 8k longer than a marathon. I am going to still try to make blog posts and will keep my JDRF fundraising site open. So it's not too late to donate!  Thank you again everyone for donating and supporting me throughout this process!
Your support has been amazing!

Donate to Mike's JDRF Fundraising Campaign

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow the Blog