Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Did you know, did you know, did you know?

Did you know, did you know, did you know? 

Prepare to be hit with some facts about Type I Diabetes...

  1. As many as 3 million people in the US have Type I diabetes. 
  2. Each year 30,000 new people are diagnosed in the US.
  3. Although it's called Juvenile Diabetes, 1/2 of all new cases are actually adults (like Naomi). 
  4. 85% of all people with Type I diabetes are adults.
  5. Type I diabetes is more common in Scandinavians.
  6. It is least common in Japan and China.
  7. The majority of children with diabetes under the age of 10 have Type I.
  8. Rates of Type I are increasing by 3% every year. 
  9. Type I diabetes costs about $14 billion dollars a year in medical costs and lost wages. 
To summarize: Type I diabetes is rare, it is diagnosed in adults as often as children, and most people with Type I are adults (there are more adults than kids and more kids are surviving to adulthood).  Also I didn't know that Japanese and Chinese folks were at lowest risk (may have to be a topic of a future post).  If we found a cure to diabetes $422 billion could be saved in medical care and lost wages, just in those suffering from diabetes right now.  So unless you plan on donating more that $422 billion towards Type I diabetes research next year, your money is a wise investment for sure!  

Celebs with Type I
OK, If you know Naomi you know that she loves celebrities and gossip.  So did you know these people have Type I diabetes.
  1. Mary Tyler Moore (she's funny)
  2. Bret Michaels (of Poison fame)
  3. Nick Jonas (my favorite Jonas Brother)
  4. Anne Rice (her books are too scary for me to read, I don't like Vampires)
  5. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor (she was diagnosed when she was 8)
  6. Gary Hall (Olympic swimmer)
  7. Most importantly Adam Morison (the greatest college athlete of all time)  We could have used you Saturday Adam. 
  8. Jay Cutler (NFL quarterback.  I don't like him, but not because he has diabetes)
Some of you might think that Halle Berry has Type I. However, when I was researching this post I spoke with my diabetes/celebrity expert Naomi and she told me that Halle claims to have Type I. But she actually has Type II because she "weaned" herself off of insulin.  This would be impossible for a person with Type I.  So sorry Halle, you can't be on my list!  

Training Update
I have been hitting the training hard, ran 18 miles this weekend.  I am sticking to the plan and feel like I can actually run a half marathon by the first week of May. Running on the treadmill was getting better with NCAA tournament on every night, until Gonzaga lost.  But now it is getting sunny and I can get outside for my runs.  

Fund Raising Update
Thank you to Derek, Dawn, Grace and Trent for your donation last week.  This bring me to $300, almost one-tenth of the way towards my goal of $5,000.  Keep the donations coming. Thanks for reading!  




1 comment:

  1. More athletes!
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/activities/orlando2010/JenAlexander.htm

    http://nordic.usskiteam.com/athletes/kris-freeman

    http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/famous_people/sports/jarvis

    ReplyDelete

Follow the Blog